History of “Vinegar Hill”
Prior to the repeal of the eighteenth amendment (prohibition) in
1933, Mt. Pulaski stayed “wet” longer than the surrounding
“dry” towns. Since Mt. Pulaski had thirteen prosperous saloons
and a few bootleggers, the railroads brought customers into town
from every direction. They would come with empty flasks and
leave with full ones. Upon nearing town, the conductor would
call out “Vinegar Hill next stop”. Thus, the town earned the
nickname, “Vinegar Hill”.
Strong local high school boys were on the payroll for their
loading / off-loading work.