Atlanta was founded in 1853.
Abraham Lincoln made a speech here in support
of John C. Freemont for
Republican President Candidate (Oct. 23, 1856).
A. Lincoln also attended a
Fourth of July celebration here at
Grove in 1859. Atlanta is located on
Route 66 from Chicago to California.
Location of a griest mill, saw mill, and brick
tile factory built by Samuel Baker. In 1833, Samuel Baker came to Illinois
when in his mid-teens. he probably came to Bakerville after the Civil War. Previously, the Baker
family lived at the Yankeetown Settlement about 2 miles southwest. The
chimney and some clay pits remain from Baker's grist and saw mills, and the brick-tile factory. The site is marked by a historical marker
in 1872 and platted by Silas Beason and others. Silas Beason was a lawyer and was instrumental in attracting the Illinois Central Railroad to Beason.
Originally a brandh
of the Sugar Creek Congregation located east of Bethel, the church was
built in 1854. Big Prairie post office was located east of the present church and Bethel grade school stood across the road. The cemetery adjoins
Is the smallest town in Logan County. In 1871 a railroad was started and it was completed in January 1873. The town was settled in 1873. Originally it was known as Burton, the Burton View in
1873 when a post office was established there. Later it was changed to one
Chicago Tribune (1992):
Chestnut - heart Of The Heartland
in 1872 by David Clark and named in honor of railroad official
Chestnut. The Illinois Central Railroad
played an important role in development of the community. It claims to be
geographic center of the state of Illinois.
monument in the village park and common honors this distinction.
surveyed and platted in August, 1871, and named by
Joshua Day who had owned
the land. The town was dedicated September 28, 1871. John D. Gillett,
as the "Cattle King of the World"
in the 1870's, had his
farm-home here. In 2010,
the State Bank of Cornland celebrated its 90th year.
Hill is 777 feet high and covers more than 600 acres. Native Americans
hill to be in the shape of an elk's heart. The gravesite of
Captain Adam Bogardus, wing shoe champion of the
world, who traveled with Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show and a Mississippi River boat show here. The John Dean Gillett Memorial Chapel is
on Elkhart Hill. J. D. Gillett became known as the "Cattle Kind of the
World" because of his breeding of short-horn cattle. We was a personal
friend of Abraham Lincoln. The hill is
also the gravesite of Richard J. Oglesby,
Governor, and Senator.
was named for Emden, on the River Ems in northern Germany. The town was surveyed in 1871. Teis Smid,
a blacksmith and William Smith are credited with the establishment of
in 1871 by David Harts and surveyed by Thomas Gardner of Pekin, Illinois
in 1881. Indian mounds have been identified in the area.
History of Logan
County (1911) by L. B. Stringer - Latham
in 1871 and incorporated in 1884. It was a station on the Peoria,
Lincoln, Mt. Pulaski, Decatur and
Evansville Railroad. Named for
Robert B. Latham of nearby town of Lincoln, who helped build the
There still exist landmarks
in Latham's name in the town of Lincoln
building on the west side of the square and Latham Park).
was laid out and platted by Thomas Easten in
1854. Easten had already erected a saw mill,
home, and store on the Kickapoo Creek near the sited. At one time, the
Lawndale elevator handled more grain shipments than any elevator between
Chicago and St. Louis. Lawndale was also known as Kickapoo by the early
settlers of the area.
Lincoln was the first city to be named for Abraham Lincoln, and event which occurred in 1953 before
he became a nationally known figure.
Abraham Lincoln christened the town,
named in his honor, with the juice from a watermelon. Stephen A. Douglas
spoke here on September 4, 1958, during his famous campaign
against Abraham Lincoln for the Senate seat. Lincoln was in attendance, but
did not speak.
Lincoln College was chartered on February 6, 1865 - President Lincoln
was notified of this before his assassination a few months later.
Was founded by Hiram S. Allen on
October 12, 1832. It is the oldest town in Logan County. Abraham Lincoln,
then living in New Salem, witnessed the deed to the first lot sold in the
community in June, 1833. The town was a
stagecoach stop midway on the route
between Peoria and Springfield -
the oldest such wooden
structure in Illinois. It is believed that Abraham Lincoln stayed at
the Inn. Middletown is also home to the
and museum. The Knapp building is the oldest brick building in Logan
Founded in 1836. Named for
Casimir Pulaski, a Revolutionary War Patriot.
Mt. Pulaski Courthouse served as Logan County Courthouse from 1848 through 1855. The courthouse is one of two remaining courthouses on
the Eighth Judicial Circuit whereAbraham Lincoln practiced law. It is
listed on the National Historic Register and waspurchased and restored by
the State of Illinois in 1936. In 1999, a joint resolution was passed by the United States
Congress requesting that General Pulaski receive an
United States Honorary Citizenship. President Barack Obama granted
this enactment with his signature in 1999. There is a Mt. Pulaski
Township Historical Society, which cares for its 2-building 2-story
historical museum and
genealogical center on the south side of the square across from the
courthouse. Among many attractions in this museum is an Abraham
Lincoln room, an old walk-in bank vault, and music room partially devoted to
a stared member of the
Hollywood Walk of Fame,
who was born and raised here.
Founded by Oliver W. Holland in
The town itself lies in two
counties: Logan and Mason. It lies in the extreme
part of Logan County. It was surveyed and platted by E. Z. Hunt in 1857.